Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Whitechapel Episode 5

The Bogeyman comes at night . . .

This episode has one of the creepiest looking murderers.  That mask freaks me out.  I find all masks to be creepy.  People wear masks to purposely hide who they are.  They also behave differently when wearing a mask. 

All I can say is I'm glad I was never told any stories of the bogeyman when I was little or I might never have grown up to love horror shows and movies as much as I do.  I'm not sure what people were thinking when they decided to tell their children if they don't behave a monster is going to come and kill them.  It's one thing to teach a child about consequences it's entirely another thing to freak them out so much they have nightmares.

So the creepy masked killer kills a babysitter by choking her with her own cell phone.  The little girl being watched is a witness but not a believable one, who believes a child when she says the bogeyman did it?  The killer then proceeds to garrote a psychologist when she is heading to her car in an empty parking lot.  She survives by pretending to pass out until the killer leaves.

Suspicious behavior

I find it highly suspicious that the psychologist could pretend to be dead long enough for the killer to leave.  The detectives on the show made the point that the average person can't hold their breath for very long.  So, either she is lying about what happened when she was attacked, or the killer purposely let her live.

Stealing ideas from Christopher Nolan

I saw the final scene coming since I've seen The Dark Knight.  I knew that the man in the mask that the police had surrounded was not the killer.  It was pretty obvious that the person had tape over their mouth and that the gun had been attached to their hand. You could tell that something was wrong and that the person was trying to speak but couldn't. Scenes like this bother me because it perpetuates the idea that the police always shoot first and ask questions later when most officers go their entire careers without using their weapon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment