Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dead Poets Society and other inspirational movies, where did they go?

What happened to those great inspirational movies aimed at teens and young adults?  Why haven't there been any amazing ones since the early 90s?  Those movies that inspired people (especially teens) to think for themselves and figure out what to stand for.  Here is a list of those movies:

Dead Poets Society (1989)
Looking For Miracles (1989)
Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken (1991)
The Power of One (1992)
School Ties (1992)
Man Without A Face (1993)
Swing Kids (1994)
With Honors (1994)

Now I know that there have been some attempts to do similar movies in the early 00s with movies like "The Emperor's Club" and "Mona Lisa Smile."  But these movies failed to capture audiences in the same way.  You can say the line "O captain, my captain" and people will either associate it with the poem by Walt Whitman or with Dead Poets Society.  Can you quote me a line from either of the two movies I just mentioned?  Do you ever hear anyone mention either of those movies?  No, and I'll tell you why they both failed.  Neither one has heart.  That is the core of those inspirational movies.  Without heart there is no inspiration. 

I think every generation needs these kinds of movies.  I'm sad that kids nowadays don't have them.  How many teenagers will find these movies unless someone suggests them?  They all see Christian Bale as Batman, Robert Sean Leonard as that guy from House, Brendan Fraser as the guy from goofy kids and action movies, and unfortunately I'm not sure how many people under 30 remember Stephen Dorff.  Did I miss any?  What are your favorite lines from these movies?  How did they inspire you?

For your viewing and remembering pleasure:







No comments:

Post a Comment